Chasing Cheerios

Friday, November 28, 2008

O's Handmade Doll Carrier

One our major projects for O's Christmas is a baby carrier that is modeled after my Beco. O loves to ride on my back in the Beco, so I hope that she'll love to carry her babies on her back, too.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

After we finished the carrier, we decided to make a drawstring bag to store the carrier in. O is going to have a very organized diaper bag! I actually had nothing to do with the making of this bag. My mom made it while babysitting O and my niece. She's a busy lady! Thanks, Mom!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

To make this carrier, I looked at my Beco for inspiration. O was asleep (and I didn't want her to see the carrier), so I used one of her shirts to figure out the size of the pattern. I cut the pattern from newspaper (and, of course, I almost forgot to allow for the seam. Luckily, my mom reminded me). I cut the fabric, sewed it front to front, leaving openings for the straps. To make the straps, I measured around O's waist with a ribbon and over her shoulders. I cut strips of the fabric, folded it front to front, and ironed it. Then I pinned it and sewed it. Once the straps were sewn, I pinned them in the carrier and sewed all around, leaving a small opening to turn it. I tacked the velcro onto the straps and left it for my mom to finish :) I was surprised by how quickly we made the carrier. I didn't even try to do the top stitching :) That was definitely a job for my mom, and she did a GREAT job! It's amazing how the top stitching changes the whole look of a project and makes it look SO MUCH better! Thanks, Mom!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

Another fun thing about this carrier is that it is reversible. Also, we used velcro on the straps, so she will have lots of room to grow. I hope she won't grow out of this carrier for at least 3 or 4 years :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm doing a handmade Christmas for my children (6, 4, 2, & 3 months) as well. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love that it's reversible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying O's Christmas presents! I love that monkey fabric SO much.

    PS My grandmother has gotten a baby like Emma (the PB version) for my itty bitty girl for Christmas. I hope she comes to love it as much as O likes hers, they are darling dolls. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody! Emily- I hope your daughter loves her baby doll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What style Beco do you have? I just bought one and I'm curious if my little guy will like it as much as O.

    ReplyDelete