Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Making Homemade Birthday Invitations

I decided that it would be fun to make our own invitations for O's upcoming 2nd birthday party, and I involved O in the process as much as possible.
I bought a pack of cardstock, and O painted about 10 sheets (over several days) with her dot painters. She kept asking to "paint more intations." I added a few dots on several sheets because she said she was "done!" after putting only a few dots on a sheet :)
Then I cut each sheet in half and folded them. Notice her feet in the top right hand corner. She was VERY excited to see her feet in this picture!

Then I typed out the invite and printed it, glued it to blue construction paper (her favorite color), and glued the construction paper to the card. The next step is stapling the cards closed and addressing them. That's the hard part because we don't have a stapler, and I only have about half of the addresses that I need. We've had lots of fun with this project, and it was great to have O so involved in planning for her own birthday party!

6 comments:

  1. These are awesome- what is a dot painter and where can one buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing and creative! How I love everything that you do with O. She is so lucky to have you for a Mom!
    I am also wondering what is a dot painter and if it a bingo marker--you know that one that makes dots on bingo cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Here's a link where you can buy the dot paints http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail.asp?=&fromsearch=true&item=55%20PAN%20319 My mom had some leftover from her teaching days, so she gave them to us. They are great, no mess way to paint. They probably are similar to a bingo marker, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really cute idea. It might be fun to make Christmas cards this way too - give her just red and green ones - and maybe some glitter!

    Oh, and they are very similar to a bingo dauber, from what I've seen. :) I've also read that you can recycle roll on deoderant bottles and use them for painters, but I've never tried it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hand made invites nad gifts are the best!!! she did great!! i love those dot painters!!! they are simliar to bingo markers just have more color options int he dot painters then bingo markers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the invitations... She did a great job... It is always so much nicer to have something handmade:)
    shellys.hut@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete